Saturday, June 5, 2010

sc + cnn = !@#$

I got on YouTube today and under "Recommended for You," I was linked to this baby:



Curious, I clicked on it to see what they had to say. By no means was I expecting an accurate portrayal of StarCraft, especially from a mainstream media network, but I never imagined it could be so hilariously bad.

"Gamers choose one of three tribes in an intergalactic fight to control the universe's natural resources." lol I don't even know what to say about this. Yes...but no. Races > Tribes. Ignoring the gushing enthusiasm that sounds almost like mockery as she describes her "life-or-death struggle," her explanation is pretty watered down, which is fine since it's an introduction to something that not many are familiar with. But damn, it's characterizations like this that makes gamers seem so dorky for even spending time on games like this!

I'm not a hardcore gamer so I can't get TOO defensive, but this is the first PC game I've ever played so it is rather near and dear to my little heart. Point is, it's not as silly as the reporter made it sound. Otherwise it wouldn't have become a competitive sport over which tournaments are held and where actual money is at stake. And it's still popular 12 years after its release in 1998, with a second installment on its way.

Looking forward to StarCraft II's upcoming release in July!

No comments:

Post a Comment