Saturday, July 10, 2010

noodles

I was laying in bed, sinking into my soft comforters and hoping to absorb more heat from my surroundings (I have, like, the heat capacity of water) when I became painfully aware of how jiggly I've gotten in the past month. So I started thinking I should go for a run or something. But then I was overcome by the urge to blog about food...which is obviously more important.

When I had the midnight munchies yesterday, I immediately jumped on my newly acquired bag of Mama brand Tom Yum instant noodles. I normally don't eat spicy if I have other alternatives, but these are pretty delicious and really hit the spot if you're craving a really flavorful soup. lol Unfortunately, it doesn't come with all those extra ingredients pictured on the packaging. Just the noodles and seasoning, but it's still great considering it's instant noodles.

While we're on the topic of instant noodles, the most delicious brand I've ever tried has to be Mi Goreng, made by Indomie. These aren't soup noodles, but if you're looking for something really flavorful then these are freakin' amazing. I can't even describe how delicious they are. Again, they don't come with all that fancy stuff on the front, but the noodles are really all you need.

And now, for the ultimate noodle-eating experience...you must go to Daikokuya. It's a small chain with locations in Little Tokyo, Monterey Park, Hacienda Heights, and Costa Mesa. They don't offer a wide selection of dishes, but they're famous for their mouthwatering ramen so that seems to be what most people go there to eat, myself included. For $8.50, you get a huuuge bowl of ramen, bean sprouts, scallions, and a soft-boiled egg, all swimming in a rich, savory broth that they apparently prepare 24 hours in advance. Oh, and arguably the best part--two or three strips of fatty pork that practically melt in your mouth.

(Picture taken from Yelp)

I've eaten at the Little Tokyo and Hacienda Heights locations, but I have to say that the ramen tastes better in Little Tokyo, though the difference is only marginal.

Now that I've gotten started on talking about delicious food, I might continue this next time and share some other places I've discovered with J this past year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment