Sunday, September 25, 2011

micromanagement

As if controlling every little step we take within the realm of work isn't already enough, Boss felt it was time to give me another push in the "right" direction during one of our meetings last week. What was the problem? My note-taking. Specifically, the lack of contrast between the important and less important instructions.

After Boss finished complaining that it was beyond understanding why we were given all the tools (e.g., highlighters, multicolored pens, sticky tabs, permission to breathe) to help us be efficient workers but don't use them, I explained that I have my own system that works for me (which doesn't include color-coding at every juncture, you twat).

But of course it was futile. I was told that while Boss respected the fact that I had my own system, Boss was merely trying to offer ways to improve it as it "may not be the best," adding that Boss was an efficient student back in the day so Boss must've been doing it right.

Never mind the condescension that was palpable in Boss's tone. Never mind that I could've rewritten my notes twice and finished all the tasks I was just given in the time it took for Boss to deliver this self-serving soliloquy. Next thing I knew, Boss was sitting there and staring at me expectantly. With little will left to endure another lecture provoked by dissension, I slowly uncapped my highlighter and grudgingly dotted the page with the tiniest of marks. And Boss looked on in smug satisfaction. Ugh.

A few days later, while I was jotting down another set of instructions, Boss brought up that I should be sent to a class to learn the "best" way to take notes.

Because we're all automatons that operate the same way, yes?

1 comment:

  1. Each one of us have different ways to be efficient. It may not be like the way most people are usually using but as long as you are doing your thing right, there is nothing wrong with it. ;)

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: http://www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: http://www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete