Sunday, November 14, 2010

owned

Seriously, I need to work on becoming better at navigating social situations. Not only did I get myself stuck driving down to SD when I didn't really want to, but I also got myself into doing lunch with J's parents. Without J there. Why do I do this to myself?

Well, I know why I did it--the last part, at least. I would've felt really guilty if they somehow found out I had been in town and didn't drop by to say hello. And I really want to say, "At least I got a good meal out of it," but considering I had to work pretty hard during those two hours not to piss my pants while they prodded me for details about my job and future plans, I still think I got the short end of the stick.

They ended up taking me to a restaurant called The Cottage in La Jolla, which was a cozy-looking place that also offered outdoor seating--perfect for enjoying the bout of unusually nice weather that graced San Diego this weekend. Since breakfast was still available, I ordered stuffed French toast, which was French toast filled with fresh strawberries, mascarpone cheese and orange zest topped with powdered sugar and maple syrup. Sooo rich and delicious! J's parents ordered a crab melt and eggs benedict; I didn't try the latter, but the former was quite good as well, although it was a bit on the greasy side.

I hung out with the BFF afterward and had some long-overdue girl talk. She told me that she missed me, which actually came as a surprise to me...but it was touching and I let her know that I missed her too. I wish we could've spent more time together but this weekend just wasn't very well-planned. It's nice to know she still cares. Even though I can confide in J about anything, sometimes I just need a female to listen.

I also called up a couple of J's friends to see if they wanted to do something fun while I was in town. Unfortunately, Drinking Buddy wasn't available but Party Friend was down to play board games (Was that paradoxical? Party = board games?). He had a good laugh about how I got suckered into driving to SD and having lunch with the (I say this facetiously) future in-laws, while I poked fun at him for having to climb through the window into the driver's seat of his BMW because the lock had broken earlier that day. We played Settlers of Catan with two other friends, and I'm usually pretty awesome at that game but I got my ass handed to me by noobs. 'Twas a humbling experience but still a pleasant night.

My outlook on this weekend was pretty grim in terms of how much fun I expected to have, especially because I hadn't planned on going down. But I'm glad that I was still able to enjoy what SD had to offer even if J's no longer there as my anchor to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment